Alberta Lamb Producers provides a wide variety of information resources for producers, ranging from management and production advice to information on marketing.
Below are listed resources available by contacting the office or by downloading them from this or other websites.
Alberta Management Modules
Comprehensive resource modules on health, nutrition and reproduction (SGMA), getting started, business, infrastructure, managed grazing, and marketing are available online from the Management Modules page at no charge.
Print copies and memory sticks are available for purchase on a cost recovery basis.
For complete information see Alberta Management Modules for Purchase (pdf).
ALP has developed fact sheets covering a wide range of sheep management topics. The fact sheets are intended to provide basic information on a subject and references to where more details can be found. The fact sheets are provided by topic throughout the website. Click here to view the entire list.
Getting Started - Information for new producers
A Virtual Tool Box full of the information you need to know to run a successful operation is available from the Canadian Sheep Federation.
ALP's Shepherding 101:Getting Started module gives an overview of the basics of sheep production.
The Canadian Sheep Industry Information for Lenders report was prepared by the Expansion Working Group under the Sheep Value Chain Roundtable. When applying for loans, producers are frequently required to provide general information about the sheep industry. The Lenders Report provides key information regarding production, marketing, economic, and other aspects of the Canadian sheep industry, together in one document.
SheepCentral Alberta YouTube Channel
Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/SheepCentralAlberta to watch sheep industry videos.
ALP also has a variety of other resources for producers. Unless otherwise stated, these resources are free of charge to producers.
- Alberta Lamb Promotional material
- NFACC Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Sheep
- Precision Flock Management (PFM) is a systematic management approach for getting the most from your flock.
- Emergency Preparedness Guide
- Guide to the Humane Care, Handling and Transportation of Sheep
- Highlights of Sheep History in the Canadian West by Grant MacEwan. Many books have been written about the romance of the western cattle industry, yet at the time of writing, nothing existed to describe the history and contributions of the western shepherd. Grant MacEwan changed all that by writing this much acclaimed history book, in cooperation with ALP. If you are a sheep producer or a history buff this book is well worth a look, a great story with many original photographs. Soft Cover $15.00 (plus shipping & handling & GST).